Monday, March 29, 2010

Stereotactic Core Biopsy

Had the biopsy done on my left breast today. Its an uncomfortable procedure, but not painful. The worst part is your neck and shoulder get sore from staying in one position so long. They have you lie on your stomach with your breast hanging down through a hole. You head is turned to the side. They squish your breast between 2 glass plates to keep it in position. The tech takes a bunch of pictures (x-rays?) to find the calcifications, then calls in the radiologist to do the procedure. She numbs up the area with Novocaine, then inserts a thin tube that the needle goes through. They take more pics to make sure everything is positioned right, then vacuum out some of the calcifications. The tech takes the tissue and x-rays it to make sure they got what they needed, then they are done. Oh, the radiologist also leaves a little titanium clip in the breast to mark where the biopsy was done. Its about the size of a deer tick--really tiny! After all that, I had to go to the room next door to get a quick mamogram to verify placement of the clip, and then I got wrapped up real tight with an ace bandage! I look flat-chested! I can take off the bandage at bedtime, and I can shower in the morning. I can't lift anything for 48 hours.
I will get the results on Wednesday.
The radiologist that recommended this procedure told me that if it was cancer it would be DCIS, which is non-invasive, and non-life threatening. I asked the radiologist today if it could be a more invasive type of cancer, or just DCIS, and she said its possible it could be a worse type. She also said that there was nothing on the mammogram that jumps out at her as definitely cancer. She said sometimes she can tell before the biopsy, but that's not the case with mine, so that's good news.
Well, I'm a bit tired now (ok, A LOT tired), so I'm going to rest for a bit.
Take care!
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina, I am going to be off line for awhile but just know that I am praying for you! It is so hard to wait for test results...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The waiting is the hardest part. Patience! And I, too, pray you will get good test results.

    ReplyDelete