Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day Three of Radiation

Had my first "rad" treatment on Monday.  My appointments are all at 8:15 am this week, so I've been getting up at 6:30.  Monday was tough--I was soooo tired all day.  No energy to do anything.  But I've been sleeping better the last 2 nights (because I'm getting up so early), and I've been doing better.  The first day I left at 7:42 and was home by 9:00.  Then yesterday I found the real rush hour!  I got off the freeway because it was all backed up and I took side streets down to the hospital.  Today was only slightly better.  I left at 7:30 and made it on time--took 45 minutes.  Found out it's 14 miles from here to the hospital.  I've been taking a different route home, because 694 is still backed up then.
Well, I guess the reason I've been going on about traffic is because that is the worst part of radiation so far!  When I get there I go back to the women's area and change into a gown.  They have 2 changing rooms, several lockers to put clothes and stuff in, a bathroom, and a private waiting area.  I spend about 10-15 minutes on the radiation table, and then I'm done!  I don't have to pay for parking either; they gave me a card to get into the private parking lot, and they have their own entrance.
I've been feeling some "twinges" in my chest and armpit today.  I hope I'm not feeling any effects of radiation yet!  Although it wouldn't surprise me--I am not normal when it comes to radiation!  I need to buy some Aloe lotion to use on my skin, then I'm supposed to switch to Aquaphor if the skin gets bad.
I really was NOT looking forward to radiation, but now that it's started I don't mind it so much.  I've been praying alot for God to help me get through it, and I know He will.  Others have been praying for me too.  I'm glad I'm not in the same radiation room that I was in before.  I think it would have been hard to walk in to that same room.  My machine is a little different than last time.  It moves around to three different positions--zapping different areas.
Other than that, I've been trying to keep busy.  Ran a few errands yesterday, then babysat Brennan, and in the evening we went to our small goup meeting (from church). Today I had to take mom to the eye dr.  Got some funny stories out of that!  First thing they have her do when checking in is have her put her info into the computer via a touch screen.  I watched her for a while and when she started making lots of mistakes I went over to help her.  The gal behind the desk was no help at all.  Mom is NOT good with technology!!  We laughed about it, but I could tell she was really flustered at first.  Every patient there today was an elderly person, you'd think the people working there would be more patient and helpful!  There were some other funny things too. Mom can be silly!
Tomorrow I'll have Brennan again. He is walking all over the place--and usually for no reason other than just walking!  He'd rather do that then play!  I just hope he naps!  He wouldn't take a nap for me yesterday. 
Boy, only 6:30 and I feel like I could go to sleep for the night!  Think I'll kick back and watch some tv!

1 comment:

  1. Just poppin' in to see how you are doing!
    Hope things continue to go well.