Friday, July 10, 2009

Halfway There!

I've had 14 radiation treatments so far--14 to go!!
Last time I wrote I had talked to the doc about my tummy cramps, and was told to try kaopectate. I found out its the same ingredient as pepto bismol, but stronger. Its been working pretty well! Thank God! Tues. night the cramps got worse and I only got 2-3 hours sleep--and had to be at radiation at 9:45 to meet with the dietician. I was not very awake! I couldn't wait to get back home, but had to stop at 2 stores to find the kaopectate. Needless to say, I slept most of the afternoon. I've been taking the med. off and on since Wed. afternoon, and my tummy is MUCH better. I am being careful about what I eat, trying not to eat too much at one sitting, and keepin' it bland!
Every week when I see the radiation doc (Dr. B.) and his nurse, Donnie, they both ask if I have any mouth sores, and they ask if I'm having trouble with my hands and feet. Well, next Tuesday when I see them I'll be able to say yes to both! The mouth sores had started a little the last time I saw them, but it wasn't bad. They are getting worse each day. It is affecting my taste too, so nothing tastes very good. There is a mouth rinse they can give me that sort of numbs the mouth and stops the pain--but doesn't get rid of the sores. The inside of my mouth is rough feeling, feels like something is coating it, and feels like I ate something really hard and scratchy that tore it up. I do rinse with baking soda/water a couple of times a day. Not sure if it really helps, but everything I read says to do it and the doc told me to also.
As for the hands and feet, the tips of my fingers hurt a bit--its really hard to flip open my shampoo and body wash-- and the soles of my feet are getting very sore and tender. Walking is getting painful. I don't know if there is any "magic pill" for this side effect--from what I've read there doesn't seem to be. I guess I'll find out Tues.!
I was happy to hear that one of my blog friend's colonoscopy came back clear! She finished her treatment in Dec. (I think). I can't wait until I get to hear "all clear"! I think every cancer survivor lives with a little bit(or a lot!) of fear when it comes time to have these tests. I'm sure I'll be nervous! I think reading the blogs of those that have gone before me will help me navigate the "post-cancer" road. Just because the doc declares you cancer-free, doesn't mean your life is instantly normal! This is something that will affect me, my hubby, and my family for the rest of our lives. I'm glad that God is walking with me, and I hope I learn whatever it is he wants me too. He has a purpose and a plan for me! "in EVERYTHING (good, bad and ugly!) give thanks"!!
Love and blessings to you all!
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Hey you! Hoping that today's treating you well. The pain in your hands and feet is probably neuropathy - you need to tell them exactly how bad it is and make sure they monitor it - otherwise, the damage could be permanent. With the mouthsores, they gave me the rinse - it's tastes awful but actually helps. Must be the 5FU - that's all I can think of. Many congrats on making the half-way point. It's a great feeling, isn't it? By this time next year, you'll be done and on your way to an easy, clean colonoscopy....

    ReplyDelete