Saturday, June 12, 2010

Been Busy!

I've been busy since I last posted on Monday.  Tues. my prosthetic fitter appt. got cancelled, but I did go down to see the physical therapist.  She mostly taught me about lymphedema-what it is, how to prevent it, and what to do if I get it.  We talked a little about exercises for the arm and shoulder, but I have most of my movement back in my arm already. 
Wed. I went to Superior Med. to be fitted for a prosthesis and bras.  That's the place the lady that I was supposed to meet with on Tues. is from.  Its in a nearby town--closer than the hospital.  Since it had only been 2.5 weeks since my surgery, she didn't think I'd want the real deal yet--just the soft form.  But I told her I need the real thing because the soft ones are too light and too hard to match.  I can always switch later in the day if it gets to be too much.  Every morning when I put my bra on with the "falsie" I think to myself I can't believe I'm doing this.  It still seems so weird to me.  I'm not sad about it anymore--but its still hard to believe it really happened.
After that I went to Party City with Rachel and Alyssa to buy stuff for Shonna's grad party.  Brennan was with too and he looked so cute sitting up in the shopping cart!  What a big boy he is now!
Thursday a good friend and prayer warrior, Marge, stopped by for a short visit and brought us a meal.  We ate it that night, as I was tired from shopping.  Thanks Marge!! It was very good!  Later in the afternoon my mom, Alyssa and I went to Sam's Club to do some more shopping for the grad party.  Wow, have I spent a lot of money the last few days!!
Friday I was supposed to go for a wig fitting at the American Cancer Society.  I can get one free there because insurance doesn't pay for it (I'm not complaining--insurance has paid for everything else, including my prosthesis and bras!).  I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'll only wear for a few months.  Anyways, I said "supposed to go" because I woke up very sick and could hardly move!  I think it was some sort of flu.  Thankfully not the stomach kind!  But all my joints and back ached and I had a fever.  I took lots of ibuprofen and Tylenol throughout the day.  The saddest part was that I couldn't go to see my baby graduate!  My head hurt too bad and I was very weak feeling.  Jaren recorded it for me and Rich took pictures.  And it will be playing on our local TV station too.  Shonna didn't seem to mind, but I cried!  I'm so proud of her.  She is a "graduate with distinction" and had her pic in the local paper, along with the other top academic achievers. We are so blessed to have such wonderful daughters!
Today started off slow.  I was still very achy over night and ended up sleeping on the recliner for a few hours.  Still had the fever this morning, but I think it is gone now.  I'm just a little weak and tired.  I was able to go to a grad party this afternoon.
I still have so much to do for Shonna's party next week.  I start chemo on Monday, and have a wig appt. on Wed.  I hope I can make it to that one.  I need to get one asap.  My hair should start to fall out about 10-14 days after my first chemo.  I need more scarves and hats too!  I think I'm going to get it cut shorter later this week, and then figure out a plan for getting it shaved when the time comes.  Another thing I have a hard time believing I'll have to do!!  NOT looking forward to it.  Its going to be hard not to just hibernate for the next 6 months or so.  I'm so thankful for my church family because I know they will see me through this, and not care what I look like!  And, of course, my family is soooo supportive too. 
The good thing about starting chemo is that I'll feel like I'm doing something to fight the cancer.  I do worry about it traveling to other parts of my body.  That's my human nature.  But the Holy Spirit, living inside me, reminds me that its not for me to worry about--it's all in God's hands.
When I was at the hospital on Tues. I stopped into the cancer center and asked one of the nurses of I could take an Ativan with the type of chemo I'm getting.  She said yes!  So I will be taking one before I go on Monday.  It's for anxiety and nausea.  I think I'll have both just walking in there knowing I have to get chemo again.  I'm a bit nervous about being back in that chair!  Thankfully I have wonderful nurses caring for me.  And Rich will be right there with me too.  :)
Well, that's a long post!  I guess it usually ends up that way doesn't it?
Thanks for the continued prayers!  God really is faithful and hears them.  There is a reason....
Love you all!
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tina... to say you've been busy is an understatement! Hope you are feeling better now. I am praying for you. My asthma is still giving me problems. I'm on a new treatment now and hope that does the trick. Tuesday I go in for a stress test (cardio). I'm not having any problems there... just want to be checked as it runs in my family. Also, my asthma puts an added stress on my heart. So, keep me in your prayers, too. Ron is doing well. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete