Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No Chemo Today :(

Well, we got to the hospital early so I could scope out the deli, buy something for lunch, and put it in the fridge in the cancer center. Turns out I didn't need it! My white blood cell count was too low for chemo--which was a total surprise! I didn't think it would happen this soon, and I figured I'd feel it somehow, and I've been feeling great. So the doc tells me I need to have a shot the next 3 days to bring my wbc count back up. I thought uh-oh, is this the shot I've heard about that makes the bones ache and causes a lot of pain?? The doc said it was a milder form of that shot, and its generally well tolerated, and I should have NO PROBLEM. I should note here he says that about everything! I had to give myself the shot, because I was supposed to take one home to do tomorrow, but insurance didn't like that (its a $1200 shot!). I'll have to go back tomorrow and they'll do blood counts again and I might not even need the 2nd or 3rd shot. They can't do chemo tomorrow tho, because they are too full, so if my #'s are ok I'll have chemo on Friday.
Anyways, when we finally left the hospital, we went out to eat lunch (at MaMa's in St. Paul), and then went home as we were both very tired (Rich hasn't been feeling well due to allergies, I think). As soon as I got home and sat down my back started hurting, like I was sitting on a nerve and it was sending little shock waves up my back. We went to lay down and soon I couldn't move AT ALL. If I did, even to move my arm or talk, waves of pain shot up my back. Finally I told Rich to get me some Tylenol and I took 3. He called the doc to see what else we could do and they told me to take 3 Ibuprofen also, and repeat every 6 hours. After about 45 minutes the pain started to subside. I didn't think it would! I was doing my childbirth breathing and saying to myself "its only pain", and sometimes even crying! It was really bad. I'm so thankful the pain pills worked! I still feel achy and can feel little waves of pain in my back, but its tolerable now. If I have to get another shot tomorrow I'll take the pain meds right away. The nurse told me they've never seen it hit someone so fast. I feel like I've been lied to by the doc, because this was EXACTLY the shot I've heard about! I think he tells me things so I don't worry, because everyone is affected differently. I would have rather known how bad it could get, so I would have been better prepared!
The other thing I'm worried about, of course, is getting sick. All my vital signs were a little elevated this morning, and my temp was 100 when I got home. For me 100 means something's wrong, because my normal temp is around 98, but the doc isn't concerned unless it goes higher. I do have to be very careful tho. I wash my hands alot!
The doc just called to see how I was doing. He said I am so sensitive to this shot-he was very surprised it affected me so quickly. He said I probably won't need another and my numbers might even go higher than needed. I hope he's right! I told him I kept telling myself that the pain meant it was working! I like that when I call the clinic with a problem he always calls me back himself later to make sure I'm ok.
Well-to wrap up--tomorrow I get my blood checked, get another shot if needed, and go back Friday for chemo(if numbers are ok). Then I'll have the "bag" until Sunday. Last chemo round I still felt pretty good the third day, and got worse after that. So hopefully I'll feel pretty good on Mother's Day, but it might affect my work week more. Oh well, not much I can do about that.
I'll update again tomorrow or Friday; please keep me in your prayers! God keep the germs away!! And that dreaded shot! ;)
Love to all!
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I'm so sorry you had this severe a side effect with the shot. I never had a problem with it. I pray you are able to continue with the chemo treatment this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask about this combination - Zyrtec or Claritin and an Aleve every day for the day you get the shot and then two days after. 1 of each every 24 hours. Worked wonders for me. There is something about the combination makes a huge difference in the amount of pain . You still end up taking some small amounts of meds, but it's not nearly as bad as it was without the meds.

    ReplyDelete