Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chemo Round 6!

Well, I'm happy to say all my blood counts were good and I was able to have my 6th round of chemo today. Not sure that "happy" is the right word. I'm glad to continue the chemo, so I can get it over with, yet its so hard to go back to feeling yucky. Wow, I've only had a week or so of feeling good and being able to have cold things; it must be REALLY hard to go back to chemo after being off it for 6 months, or a year, or a few years. I guess I should stop whining! :)
I did get out shopping yesterday, and of course hit the Caribou drive through for my smoothie! I had a good, productive day, so for the next few days I don't have to worry about getting things done for Christmas.
Its weird to have the extreme cold sensitivity back. Even with socks on, the kitchen floor is too cold--I have to remember to keep my slippers on. I took some clementines out of the fridge, so hopefully by tomorrow they'll be ok for me to eat. They've really tasted good lately!
Speaking of socks, while getting chemo today some people came through the infusion room singing Christmas carols, and they handed out warm, fuzzy ankle socks with a Regions hospital logo on them. I actually got tears in my eyes. Its still so weird to receive things like this. I feel like I should be the one handing out the gifts, not receiving them. I really never wanted to be part of this group that gets special consideration. Hence the tears--I AM part of this cancer "club", whether I like it or not! Weird that I still get tears after all this time, but every once in a while something will bring them on. I have to say I am very grateful for the carolers, and the socks! And someday, hopefully it WILL be me handing out gifts to cancer patients! Rich and I already do what we can by buying treats for the center, and Rich, of course, helps out other patients while we are there, if needed.
Tonight might be a night that I sleep in the recliner because of the steroids. They keep me awake most of the night. Last round I was able to sleep pretty well the first night. I must be getting used to them, or I'm just that much more tired! I did notice I was talking alot to my mom awhile ago, and that's usually a sign that the steroids are affecting me. If I'm still "chatty" at bedtime, I'll probably just stay out in the living room and let Rich have a peaceful night!
Thanks for checking in! Drop me a note to say Hi!
Love and Blessings!


  1. Yah, it does feel strange to be in this "cancer club". But here we are. Mine is ovarian and I've finished my chemo last July. During my treatment I spent many nights in the guest aches and pains just caused me to toss and turn too much and when you lie there trying not to awaken your hubby, it's even worse. My first two days after chemo (my chemo may have been different than yours) I was high as a kite due to the steroids given with the chemo. Then I crashed for 3 or 4 days and enjoyed watching the ceiling from the sofa. LOL. Bless you as you continue your treatment. And I hope you are up and about and able to enjoy Christmas with your family.

  2. I really struggled with steroids ... hope you can got some sleep.