Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Round 2 Begins

It was a long day! Got to Regions at 8:27 am, but for some reason everyone there was a little behind already. At least they acknowledged it and apologized, and its not like I had anywhere else to go! We didn't get home until almost 2:30.
My numbers all look ok, only the hemoglobin is still a little low--10.8 (10.9 last time). We talked with the doc alot about the sleeplessness and nausea, and EXACTLY how and when to take my anti-nausea meds. I will still take the Decadron (steroid), but only until Sat. The nurse said to take 9 doses total--which should put me at Sat. afternoon. I got a new scrip for Zolfran, which I'm very happy about. I can take it first thing in the morning without food or water! It dissolves in the mouth. Then I stay in bed for about a 1/2 hour and take the steroid with a little food. I still have Compazine also, to take as needed for nausea.
The doc gave me a scrip for a sleep med too. Its a 1/2 dose, so if I find myself awake in the middle of the night, I can take it and not worry about being too sleepy in the morning. Also, I can take 2 if I think I need a stronger dose.
I found out alot about this steroid--which they also give me with Zolfran thru my port before chemo. The bad side effects are: jitteryness, sleeplessness, and goofy heartbeat (its the "fight or flight" reaction, intensified!). The good side effects are: it should help my allergies, and it takes away my elbow pain--which had been pretty bad!
All in all, I think I have a better idea how to stay on top of my side effects. So I'm feeling hopeful! Of course, that may end when the nausea starts!!
So far my hands and arms feel very weak, and the cold sensitivity has kicked in big time! Standing outside with the dog in 60 degree weather my hands started to tingle and I could feel the coolness in my throat! So I have to be extra careful this time! I started getting the yucky tummy during chemo, but after eating a few crackers I feel better, and have been snacking since! Hopefully the nausea will hold off at least until tomorrow morning, like last time.
Well, I still have a few things I want to get done while I still can--so better get moving!
Thanks for checking in--and remember GOD IS GOOD!! (all the time--sing it with me!)
Love,

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Just think ... I am one year past where you are now. This time next year you will be done with this. You can look back occasionally but mostly look forward!! Then we can mark off the 6 month increments to when we have this test and that test and see the doctors for check-ups. Five years will fly by in no time! YEAH! God is Good All the Time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snacking, eating little bits of carbs, and TAKING YOUR MEDS!!!! This will all help you beat the nausea. Ask your dr about Emend - it's what helped me, and made a HUGE diff. Also, ask him about Ativan - they gave that to me in my port and I had the pills - best drug ever, hands down. I NEVER took my Compazine. Ativan did it all - helped me sleep, took away the nausea....great drug!

    Good luck - thinking of you. Like Carol said, step by step. You'll make it, and soon be helping someone else through.

    ReplyDelete